Saturday, April 19, 2014

2014/365 Day Art Challenge, April 18th was a lovely day!

This was a very "zen" kind of day. It went well, all the way around, and it was very relaxing. I got up a bit late since I didn't have to go to the Kerf. It was a bit odd, but not bad. I had a lovely lunch delivered from a Relay for Life fundraiser, and that was heaven. I will be buying again from the next sale, that's for sure!

 I went to the feed store and bought some things for the cats, and saw the most adorable baby goat following someone through the store on her way to her new home. I just wanted to hug the stuffing out of her! The owner said she loved being cuddled, and that she was only a few weeks old, so she would be a bottle baby at her new home. That was fun!

Next, I got started on some of the ornaments I had bisqued, doing the under-glazes and some of the glazing. I have a few things at home, and so some of them make it all the way to the stage where they are ready to be final fired, and some are at other points along the way to that goal. It is very meditative to do work like this; and my mind will wander on its merry way, while the hours wander merrily on their way, too. Before I even realized it, three hours had floated by; but that was fine. The pieces that were worked on have been coated in many layers of colors and glaze, and most of the details have been obliterated. The funny part about it is that the colors are not what they will end up being, due to the nature of the materials in glazes. It is at this stage when I am always a bit nervous. The ornaments look weird, and they are covered in brush strokes, but it always makes the end results so miraculous~ how in the world does something that look like THIS? end up looking like THAT! since unfired glazes are either a pale chalky off-white, a creamy pale green, or the color of  funky chocolate milk. The blue ones you see in the photo have only under-glazes on them, and even that isn't the correct color.

Later this afternoon I worked in my garden, pulling weeds; another very meditative job. My front porch was looking pretty shabby, so it looks a lot better now. And tonight I spent my time on the computer chatting with my daughter. That's been my day! A lot got done.


Those don't look purple! But there is yellow, pink, brown, and purple in here!
Even these with only under-glazes aren't the right color... And where did the designs go?

No comments: