Friday, February 09, 2007

Dreamin...

Did you ever want something soooo much it made you sigh every time you thought about it~~ even though it was impossible?

There is a frail, pallid house for sale near where I live. Leaning onto the garage is a decaying wreck of what was a shed, and the house itself is past its prime. It is a small house, too, no doubt its one of many factors that has kept it from being sold in prolonged months, even though other houses in the area have been snapped up almost immediately upon hitting the market.

I pass this plot on the way to inevitable destinations of school and the market. Despite its condition, I think about this lonely house frequently, although I’ve never even been inside. I dream of what color I’d paint it, of fixing it up, and planting gardens. I tell the kids as we drive by, “Someone should give me that house, because I’d take care of it.” They just roll their eyes... But I am old enough now that I am ready to just settle down and take root. It isn't so unusual to want a home of your own, is it?

Unfortunately, giving it to me is about the only way I’d ever be able to possess it. There is no way that I’d ever be able to pay for it; no matter the price ~ single mothers on social security just aren’t home buyers. That’s understood within the universe of common irrationality.

I don’t quite know what calls to me from this little place. I’ve always been attracted to the small ones… my cozy cottage. I tell myself, it’s so tiny; no one would be out much if they bought it for me, and they’d get the supreme satisfaction of watching me make something special out of its listless hull and making it a HOME. I’d take what I pay now on rent and put it towards improvements, that’s a good reason to make a present of it… isn’t it?

Yeah, it’s a pipe dream, I know. But a girl can dream, can’t she?!

5 comments:

STAG said...

Don't give up your dreams. Things have a way of turning out.

oregoncelticlady said...

SARK (one of my favorite authors) says ASK...ask for what you need! Find the owner through public records and ask!!! You just never know! Maybe someone would like to get out from under it. maybe they would love your dream. (and then be careful and get it all legal!) just ASK!!!!!

oregoncelticlady said...

OH! So now I come back and you leave?!?!?! lol

coastalcutie2000 said...

NO I didn't fall off the planet, I can't log into this blasted thing!!!! Why in the world do they have to mess with the mechanics when they worked just fine?!!!

PCM

oregoncelticlady said...

hahahaa I agree! I am soooo technically challenged!!! Yep, V-day pretty well sucked but what can ya do! The EX called....hahahaha! Lucky me!