Saturday, October 06, 2007

Saturday Night

There are certain times in life that remind you of what is important. They are usually unexpected, simple things, and they can live within your heart forever. For some wonderful reason, tonight's one of them.

My daughter has been taking over her position in the big, adult world lately. She has a boyfriend now, spends endless hours with her friends and on the phone, and she has been deeply engrossed in classes and scholarship applications. As a Senior, these things are to be expected, but nothing to be looked forward to by her old mother. I haven't actually been a part of her attention for months. And my son is never at home. In fact, I have spent most of my time alone since the beginning of the school year.

But we've spent the entire evening Jammie lounging about the house, watching old romantic chick flicks, eating peach cobbler that was sublimely enrobed in billows of whipped cream... I have missed this so much!!! One could argue that my woes are simply Empty Nest Syndrome, but who knows for sure, and why tempt fate? It was wonderful, plain and simple.

Remember to appreciate the ones you love. Give them a little extra bit of your heart, a big hug, a tender cuddle. There is no greater treasure in this world than the ones you love! We get so involved in the everyday rush and struggle for another dollar, and it is easy to forget the things that are actually important. And we all could use a little extra bit of attention, anyway.

Goodnight.

4 comments:

STAG said...

When my mom died, I was not too unhappy....she went where she wanted to go, albeit well before her time. But when my dad died, I was left alone....and it hurt and hurt and hurt.

The things which are important are people, not things....and eventually you can let go of that which is not important. It takes quite awhile though. Enjoy kids, parents, friends when you can....and NEVER hold a grudge.

You know you are not going to get out of this life alive, so may as well enjoy it while you are here! I am personally thrilled FOR you that you feel needed by the professor for his research. Thats the sort of thing which can validate a whole existance!

Regards
Maudlin Bill

Shelly said...

I love your post. My son just turned 10 and my daughter will be 7 on thursday. My son wants nothing to do with me he would rather be at a friends house or have a friend over to play. When we go places he walks way behind me. And my in my daughters eyes I can do nothing right. I know it is just their age but I feel lost without them I guess I should appreciate any time I get with them.

coastalcutie2000 said...

Stag,
I don't know what I'd do without my special friends like you! You are a treasure!!

Shelly,
Thank you, too for the nice post! As a single mom, I've sort of taken it for granted that the kids would always be there, and that I was tough enough to deal with it when they grew up... It just happened so fast! All at once it seems, and I am feeling totally neglected. But I will be fine eventually.
PCM

oregoncelticlady said...

I am sooo grateful that Sierra and I are still connected at the hip....she needs me to DRIVE!!!! *laugh* I know I will have to work hard when she is in high school to squeeze in those extra times, sweet evenings and lovely moments.