Saturday, April 12, 2014

2014/365 Day Art Challenge, taking a break from clay

Well, close to 40 ornaments done, my bear is drying, and I have 7 bowls thrown. They are all waiting for the first firing, and so patience is the word of the day. I didn't go to class on Thursday, I was visiting my daughter, and picking up supplies for sculpting and throwing for myself and some friends. We had such a good time together, it was worth missing class for! Getting supplies, making plans for projects,  that is all part of the creative process, and I thought it counted towards my personal goal. But the itch to start something that could be completed hit, and I started a painting/drawing  mixed media project I have been wanting to do for a long time. It will take many layers and steps to finish, and when it is done it will look like an antique. Warm colors, smudgy details~ I did one once before for class, and loved doing it. And I sold it very quickly! I'm not sure what will happen to this one when finished, that is a long way off from now.

The technique involves layers of colored pencils and thin washes of color, then repeating the process over and over again to get a depth, and it is a very forgiving process, so you can't really screw it up, you just paint over it and go again. I like idiot proof!!! So the man is the painting I did before, and the woman is my current project so far (she sort of got distorted in the photo, sorry). As you can see in the first picture, the colors start out light, and as washes are added, the depth begins to emerge.
Early on in the process, light colors are the base. I can't claim any talent, but I love how the whole thing goes!

Progressive washes and layers of drawings bring out the depth and features, and give it an old, world worn look. Parts of it look like they have rubbed off, it is faded, but the image is still there. Love it!

She will look very different by the time I am through! Sorry I squished her a bit...

No comments: