Tuesday, June 24, 2014

2014/365 Day Art Challenge, all the Little Joys in Life

So it is Tuesday again, and I've been busy, busy, busy. The garden is coming along nicely, and I work in it every day now. Its always so nice to go out and see things have literally sprung up overnight. I was wrong about the cucumber, its a pumpkin! Easy mistake, they are in the same family, although the lovely thing is threatening to take over the carrots and onions already. If it spreads anything like other squashes I've grown, it might just want to take over the whole box... We shall see what time tells. The seedlings have been popping up all over the box, gifts from the compost pile. Too bad I didn't save more of the seeds when I threw it in the pile, because all the seedlings have to be pulled out, a waste! Oh well. Each day comes with the expectation of a sweet ruby ripe strawberry. Since there are only two pots of them, there is never more than one or two at a time, and if I was smart I'd save them up for a dessert or a smoothie or something, but they never get that far. Payment in full for a day's weeding! Although there are runners sneaking into the empty bed next to it, so it they happen to take root, no complaints! Yesterday I dug up the two pots of garlic. It was a surprisingly large harvest for the size of the pots, and the fat purple heads are curing in my closet.

I also made a friend a baby blanket. She's due any minute now, and I hope she likes it. If she reads this the cat is out of the bag, but I was planning on giving it to her on Thursday, anyway. Lastly, I made marmalade today. Five pints, more than enough to last for a year. Amanda has been asking for some, so now when she comes for the 4th of July, it's ready. All these things keep my mind and my hands busy. Once class ends this week things will switch to drawing and painting again. Not a bad way to keep things fresh!
Four nice big ones (one's not in the picture), 4 mediums, and a couple of small ones. And two that went to seed for next year!

Fine fat heads, they will be good eating in a couple of weeks!

Last week, the empty spots have all filled in now, and the spinach is even bigger! So's the pumpkin!!




Marmalade! Full of the whole chunks of fruit and peel, we cook with it and eat it all year.

Baby blanket for a friend, I hope she likes it!

No comments: